top of page

SMRA Board & Committee Minutes

February 16, 2021

Meeting Minutes

Southern Maryland Rowing Association, Inc.

47976 Cross Manor Road

Saint Inigoes, Maryland 20684 

 

The officers of the Southern Maryland Rowing Association, Inc., met virtually on Zoom, on Tuesday,

February 16, 2021. The meeting was called to order at 7pm and was attended by officers Owen Lewis (president), Ruthann O’Connell (vice president), Dave Lewis (treasurer), Maribeth Boeke Ganzell (secretary), and Committee Heads Bill Fry (Facilities & Equipment), and Phil Hayward

(Communications).

 

Presidents Report

Owen reports that after discussions with HSMC, more decisions have been made regarding our plans for SMRA use of Chancellors Point (CP). The dock permit will most likely receive a residential permit.

This will be an easier permit to get and we can start building the anchors for the floating dock sooner. It will take a month (estimate) to get the permit once the process begins. HSMC also states we can bring our rack down to the lower waterfront area and we can store our oars at the pavilion. We will water launch until the dock is completed. The docks from SMCM have been signed off and they are eager to have them delivered to us.

 

Treasurer

Dave Lewis went over the completed 2021 budget. He used an estimate of 20 members for the membership income base. (Please see attached document.)

 

Taxes have been completed, and we do not owe any.

 

Programming

Need to make sure we have releases from all rowers taking out boats from HSMC. (singles, etc.)

Ruth O’Connell will look at RowHouse for marketing SMRA. The Erg exercise business will be a good place to find potential members.

 

We need to look at getting more members comfortable to train new members. Get more folks

comfortable with volunteering to work on a rotational basis with a new person if they come down (sort of like the way we all take turns to cox the 8+.) All our experienced rowers have the skills to give an orientation/lesson to a first-timer but perhaps we could come up with a standard format and call-list from our core group we can tap for this when we get a newbie.

 

Facilities & Equipment

Bill Fry has agreed to help with boats and facilities, along with Meghan. We will need to find a good way to secure oars to the pavilion.

 

Communications

Phil will complete the Facebook page very soon.

 

Action item 1: Make flyers for RowHouse and advertise there.

 

Action item 2: Draw up a diagram for where the pylons and docks will be located for the residential

permit.

 

Tentatively agreed to meet in two weeks (Monday) at 7pm. (director meetings are open to all members)

  

The meeting concluded at 8:15 pm.

Approved:

Date: February 16, 2021

Maribeth Boeke Ganzell, SMRA Secretary

___________________________

 

February 1, 2021

Meeting Minutes

Southern Maryland Rowing Association, Inc.

47976 Cross Manor Rd

Saint Inigoes, MD 20684

 

The officers of the Southern Maryland Rowing Association, Inc., met virtually on Zoom, on Monday,

February 1, 2021. The meeting was called to order at 7pm and was attended by officers Owen Lewis

(president), Ruthann O’Connell (vice president), Dave Lewis (treasurer), Maribeth Boeke Ganzell

(secretary), and Committee Heads Chris Rodkey (Social), Meghan Burns (Facilities & Equipment), and Phil Hayward (Communications).

 

President's Report

Owen wanted to bring the officers and committee heads up to speed on the progress of rowing out of HSMC’s Chancellor’s Point (CP). He wanted to be clear that while final permissions have not yet been granted, we should be able to store boats on the CP waterfront and row off SMCM’s old rowing dock by March. It is expected that the storage racks, currently near the equipment shed, will be moved down the bluff, making for better water access. And we are very lucky that SMCM refreshed its rowing dock this winter, making the old one available to us. The SMCM waterfront folks and Coach Anna deserve a big thank you!

 

Finally, given HSMC’s very strong support of our program, it behooves us to return the favor. One way we can do that is with strong showings at some of their volunteer efforts, the first of which is planned for Sunday, Feb. 7.

 

Treasurer’s Report

Dave is working on finalizing the budget and is asking for input on expected expenditures. Dues will be $150/year. Some members paid dues for last year (2020) but were unable to row due to COVID. These members will have the option of waiving their fee for this year or agreeing to pay dues again for 2021.

 

The club will need to join USA Rowing for insurance coverage. This will be our biggest expense. We should be able to join at the smaller club rate.

 

Nonprofit status - 501(c)(4) - An organization operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare if it is primarily engaged in promoting the common good and general welfare of the people of the community. Net earnings must be exclusively used for charitable, educational, or recreational purposes.

 

Programming

 Congrats to the Mighty Crabs! Five members joined the Concept2 January challenge and placed 4th out of 63 teams in the Small Club division. Way to go Chris, Owen, Phil, Ruth, and Nancy!

 

Ruth states that the rowing plan for the year will still consist of 2x/week sweep rowing out of SMCM

while we will have the freedom to scull out of CP on a more regular basis in the small shells.

 

The club is still interested in competitions and helping Anna plan future youth camps, however, this has been put on hold due to COVID.

 

Facilities & Equipment

Megan has agreed to be the point person for managing the equipment, boats, and rowing facilities. She will need additional committee members, please contact her if interested in helping.

 

We have three singles that need some “healing,” maintenance, and general upkeep. We are looking for members willing to care for these boats for 2-3 years while they are used by SMRA. After this time the caretaker will have the choice to own the boat. Please contact Owen.

 

All boats in the fleet will need names, hoping to keep them “local.” ie. The Tippity.

 

We will get small boats back from SMCM as they will not be used in the spring by their program.

Boats will be kept on racks, oars will be kept in the shed, a long hose will be run to the waterfront for boat cleaning, need to focus on maintenance of old boats- they will need a lot of care.

 

Social

Chris has agreed to plan our social activities.

 

He will start with a Zoom social and work toward an outdoor event once the weather warms, looking for low-cost and COVID safe ideas.

 

Planning a start of the year meeting/gathering for club members at CP, time TBD.

 

Communications

Phil has agreed to continue on as communications chair and is looking for assistance. He would

especially like to recruit some members that are good with website and/or Facebook development.

SMRA Website - somdrowingassoc.com

 

Action item 1: MB & Phil - work together to make an info piece: “Snapshot of the SMRA 2021 Season”

Send MB your committee info and photos to include in the document.

Action item 2: MB &Owen - Develop boat-log spreadsheet

Action item 3: Ruth - Update Rules of the Road

Action item 4: Chris - Plan first social and first membership meeting

Action item 5: Phil - Make a new Facebook page, add key search words to website

Action item 6: All - Next Sunday, clean-up day at CP

Action item 7: MB & Owen - Develop two membership email lists (active & all interested)

 

Tentatively agreed to meet next Monday at 7pm. (director meetings are open to all members)

 

The meeting concluded at 8:00 pm.

 Approved: February 2, 2021

Maribeth Boeke Ganzell, SMRA Secretary

bottom of page