2023 National Learn to Row Day
National Learn to Row Day
What: A Free Introduction to Rowing
When: June 3, 2023 - 10am-12pm
Where: James P. Muldoon River Center at St. Mary's College of Maryland
47498 Trinity Church Road
St. Inigoes, MD 20653
How to Sign up: Fill out this short google form
July 2022 Learn to Row Course
Join us for a week long learn to row course at the River Center at St. Mary's College July 11-15, 5:30-7:30pm.
The course is five days long. Dates and times are:
Monday July 11: 5:30-7:30
Tuesday July 12: 5:30-7:30
Wednesday July 13: 5:30-7:30
Thursday July 14: 5:30-7:30
Friday July 15: 5:30-7:30
We will hold the class rain or shine. However, if we have an evening that is stormy, we will meet at the St. Mary's College Gym to work on stroke sequencing on rowing machines.
Location: Our learn to row course will be held at the St. Mary's College of Maryland River Center. The address is: 47498 Trinity Church Rd, Saint Inigoes MD 20653
Cost: $200 to Southern Maryland Rowing Association and $15 to US rowing for a US rowing Membership fee. Your $200 course fee includes annual membership to the Southern Maryland Rowing Association. Members of SMRA can join in on our Monday/Wednesday evening sculling (rowing with two oars) lessons at Chancellors point. With approval from a coach, rowers could also join our early morning sweep (rowing with one oar) rowing practices.
Link to Sign up for our Learn to Row Course: https://forms.gle/Xvw9SGjCjYQPeSRS9
After you sign up on this link, we will be in touch with our membership forms and waiver. We will take payment on the first day of class in check or cash form. If you pay with cash, please put it in an envelope with your name on it. You will also need to join US rowing. We will send you directions for this along with our membership paperwork. The US rowing annual member fee is $15.
What to expect:
5:30pm - We will meet at the St. Mary's College of MD boathouse. We will carry oars and an 8 person rowing shell down to the dock. We will do a short lesson or dock demonstration each day and then launch into the river.
6:00pm - We'll go for a row on the St. Mary's River. We will have one or two experienced rowers and an experienced coxswain in the boat with you. A coach or two will be with you in a launch to give instruction.
7:00pm: We'll bring the boat back in, wash it down and put it away. Coaches will have some closing remarks/thoughts and then we'll dismiss for the day.
What to wear:
- Snug fitting workout shorts or pants (loose clothing can get caught in the rolling seat's tracks while you're rowing)
- A shirt that isn't too long or can be tucked in (long shirts can get caught in the tracks too)
- Socks! Rowing boats have shoes in them to secure your feet and because lots of people take turns using the shoes, you'll want to wear socks in them. (You'll leave your shoes on the dock when we launch).
What to bring:
- A water bottle
- Sunglasses or a hat/visor for sun protection if you'd like
Where to park:
- There is a lot on trinity church road just past the boathouse on the right that should have plenty of room for parking.
- Please don't park in the boathouse parking lot, at the church hall, or at the church.
- The boathouse has restrooms and showers if you need either.
- There's a lovely porch and beach area at the boathouse if you'd like to hang out before or afterward!
If you have any questions at all about Learn to Row Course or any of our community rowing programs, please email us at email@example.com.
We can't wait to row with you!